Wikipedia Trail: The Louvre to Criticism of The Da Vinci Code

Tuesday Night Wikipedia Trail


I started at the general Louvre Wikipedia page. I started my trail when I saw a retweet on the Twitter stream from the Musée du Louvre. This jumped out at me because I have been to the Louvre and I am itching to travel again! It has also been a while since I visited, and of course, there is a ton to see, so I thought I could re-learn some things!

Next, I went to the Louvre Pyramid page because I've always liked how distinct this feature is. People far and wide know that pyramid belongs to the Louvre. I found it interesting that there was once a theory that the sides of the pyramid contained exactly 666 panes, which led people to believe it had ties to Satanism. I had not heard this! Although, it was later shown to have more like 673 panes in total. 

This led me to a page on The Da Vinci Code, the novel by Dan Brown, because it once again brought up this theory of the panes in its mystery genre. Having never read this book, I kind of knew what it was about, but didn't fully understand it. After reading a brief synopsis without completely giving it away, I found myself looking at the widespread criticism of the novel.

My next page went into the Criticism of The Da Vinci Code. Apparently there was great controversy after its publication because of its inaccuracies to Catholic religious doctrine and history. People had a difficult time determining where the line between fact and fiction fell, and there was much uproar over it. 

-----

Image: Venus De Milo in the Louvre by Mattgirling. CC BY 3.0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courtney Macom - An Introduction

Week 7 Story: Orochi, the Eight-Headed Serpent