Reading Notes: Japanese Mythology, Part B

The story I'd like to recreate the most in this section was The Faery Robe. I enjoyed this story because of its style and poetic language. If I were to retell this story, I could play with this style and even recreate it as I wrote. My biggest concern is whether I could make it long enough because I would be shorter on words than normal.


Plan/Ideas:

I could keep the plot relatively the same, but change up the language. Tell the same story, but use different metaphors, imagery, etc. The man still takes the robe from the fairy and asks a dance of her for his own amusement, but perhaps the fairy has a different reaction. 

I could make the fairy darker. Maybe she wants to get revenge on the man for stealing her robe, and she uses some form of magic to get it back. Although, I like the lightness of this story. Keeps with the tone of the fairy story. 

Instead, make the fairy use some kind of magic to get her robe back from the man, but keep the tone lighter. Maybe she can put him to sleep, or make him fall in love with a nearby animal so that he loses interest in her and she can get her robe back? 

Play with the light and fanciful tone of the story, but change some elements and mostly the language. ...If this isn't possible for a 300 word story, consider it for an EC microfiction. 

-----

Bibliography: The Faery Robe by E. W. Champney and F. Champney (1917)

Image: Fairy Woman by Sophie Gengembre Anderson, Source: Wikimedia Commons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courtney Macom - An Introduction

Week 4 Story: Hestia and Beatrice