Week 2 Reading Overview

When choosing the units I want to explore this semester, I tried to cover all of my bases pretty well. I signed up for this class because I don't have much knowledge on classical (Greek, Roman) mythology, so I wanted to get as much of that as possible. However, I am excited to learn about the myths of the world, so I looked for units that covered a lot of ground, geographically. Some of the units that I am looking forward to the most are the Cherokee myths and the Celtic Fairy Tales because I have some heritage from these communities. I also find it entertaining that fairies in Irish literature are often negative, even creepy, figures, which is a funny change from our modern-day view. The hardest part was narrowing down my choices because I can see myself doing a lot of extra reading outside of my chosen units. Below is a painting of Narcissus because I am looking forward to reading about this mythological character. 


Narcissus by Caravaggio
Source: Wikimedia Commons

Choose from CLASSICAL and/or BIBLICAL units for Weeks 3 and 4.

Week 3: Ovid's Metamorphoses I

Week 4: Ovid's Metamorphoses II

Choose from MIDDLE EASTERN and/or INDIAN units for Weeks 5 and 6.

Week 5: Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories

Week 6: Indian Fairy Tales

Choose from ASIAN and/or AFRICAN units for Weeks 7 and 9. [Week 8 is review week.]

Week 7: Japanese Mythology

Week 9: Nigerian Folk Stories

Choose from NATIVE AMERICAN units for Weeks 10 and 11.

Week 10: Myths of the Cherokee

Week 11: Native American Marriage Tales

Choose from BRITISH and/or CELTIC units for Weeks 12 and 13.

Week 12: Celtic Fairy Tales

Week 13: King Arthur

Choose from EUROPEAN units for Weeks 14 and 15.

Week 14: Italian Popular Tales

Week 15: Kalevala

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courtney Macom - An Introduction

Week 4 Story: Hestia and Beatrice