Reading Notes: Ancient Egyptian Myths and Stories: Part A

I liked the story of the wax crocodile the best in this unit, and I think I can improve my storytelling skills with something like this. One suggestion on my story from last week was to tell it in a less formal tone, by using more dialogue and expression. So, I think this story has elements that will allow me to play with that. 

Major Plot Points:

Wife has affair with boy, wax crocodile is created and told to throw into lake, crocodile comes to life and eats the boy, crocodile is brought back and turned into wax, then turned back into crocodile and takes the boy for good, never to be seen again. 

I also like the idea in the notes of telling the story from the crocodile's perspective. What is he thinking? How does he feel about being summoned? Is he grateful for life/a meal? What does he do during his time under water? Why didn't he eat the boy completely in the week that he was under water? Can he take agency at the end of the story and make the decision to eat the boy, or do something different with the ending?

Plan: Keep the plot mostly the same, but change the perspective. Add details and dialogue to make it fun and interesting for the reader. Explain unanswered questions. 

This could also make a great short story! Get in and out quickly with lots of detail!

-----

Bibliography: Egypt: The Wax Crocodile by Donald Mackenzie (1907) 

Image Information: Crocodile Lurking, Source: Pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courtney Macom - An Introduction

Week 4 Story: Hestia and Beatrice