Feedback Strategies

When reviewing the sources on providing feedback, I found the article How to Provide Great Feedback When You're Not in Charge especially interesting. I like how it broke down feedback into three distinct categories: appreciation, advice, and evaluation. When I have to give feedback on another person's work, I typically use a combination of appreciation and advice. I start by complimenting something that I think was done well, and I give support for my opinion. Then, I provide any advice or suggestions that I may have for the piece. This helps me to feel like I am being constructive with my comments and making suggestions that actually help. I rarely go into the evaluation category because I typically am not in situations where I have to, as in assigning grades or weight to works. 

Students collaborating on a project
Source: Pixabay

I also thought the article The Trouble with "Amazing": Giving Praise that Matters was helpful. Point two stood out especially because it talked about being specific with your feedback. Vague feedback or comments don't really help anyone to understand what needs to be changed or given more attention. It is easy to point out the good in a piece, because we want to be kind, but it is just as easy to be vague when delivering the "bad" news to "soften the blow." In the end, the best strategy is just to be direct and respectful because this leads to the best results. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courtney Macom - An Introduction

Week 4 Story: Hestia and Beatrice