Storybook Favorites

After searching through the storybooks of past students, my favorite three are Peter Pan: Revisited, Mythical Greek Women and Feminism, and Hawaiian Mythology. While the first two tell stories from lesser-known perspectives, the third tells stories of history and culture. 

Peter Pan: Revisited is a retelling of the famous Peter Pan stories in Neverland from a different perspective. I love stories of "misrepresented" or misunderstood villains, and the introduction to this storybook begins with an interview with the infamous Captain Hook, referred to informally as James Hook. Taking well-known and beloved classic stories and turning them on their heads makes for an interesting perspective. The design of the website is also appealing, as it lends bright and colorful images, which help to transport the reader to Neverland. 

Captain Hook and Peter Pan
Source: Wikimedia Commons

Mythical Greek Women and Feminism jumps out to me because I don't know much of classical Greek mythology. Because I haven't studied it in detail since elementary school, I only remember the big stories, which typically are about men. This storybook offers a feminist perspective on a classically male domain. I also enjoy that it is written from Medusa's perspective, giving the reader a chance to see inside her head. The images are colorful and powerful, and they help to create a strong presence for the storybook. Any stories about strong, capable women are worth reading, in my opinion. 

Hawaiian Mythology is a storybook containing stories from the Hawaiian Islands. I already find this rich culture interesting, and to learn more about it is something I want to do. The stories of the shark man were interesting, and I was left wanting more to read. The introduction was especially interesting because it gave context and some history of Hawaii before getting into the stories. Everyone knows how beautiful Hawaii is, but having the chance to learn more about the people and the culture is important as well. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Courtney Macom - An Introduction

Week 4 Story: Hestia and Beatrice